I had probably a dozen trees cut down a few weeks ago – primarily for safety, as a few of the trees close to the road were looking dangerously close to falling. There are still a couple more that need dropped, but the scariest ones are now down. The task of moving all of the wood out of the way has begun.
These pictures were right after the tree service company left. I have moved some of the wood and burned some of the brush over the last few weeks.
I got my overhead doors last weekend and recruited my brother to help install them this weekend. With a big assist from my neighbor and his tractor, we got them attached to the barn on Friday. Today, we finished up the install. They work like they are supposed to and look great. There a couple more small things to do with them, and I still need to get an access door installed since they lock on the inside. We are definitely getting closer, though.
This is part 1, as in there is a lot more trash to be removed than this. The goal here was to get all of the trash outside the house removed, as well as anything in the big barn. I opted for the biggest dumpster they had – 30 cubic yards. It was about 25% more expensive for 50% more capacity than the next smaller size. I have it for 2 weeks, which I was a little worried about. I scheduled the dumpster to be set last Friday afternoon and took a half day off work. While waiting for the dumpster, I did some trimming by the road, which turned out pretty good.
Once the dumpster was set, i got a start. Note the army of empty trash cans I now have.
I took Saturday off since I had an appointment to get a hitch installed on my car and since the weather was pretty terrible. I got an early start Sunday and made good progress. The stacks of yellow stuff are what I think are insulated drop ceiling panels, basically pieces of fiberglass insulation with paper glued to them, in various stages of decay. They are pretty nasty to deal with, and they take up a bunch of room. There were probably 25 trash cans up by the house that were all full of trash and had been outside for up to a few years. I started dumping them, but eventually gave up and just started loading the cans in the dumpster. They are all either loaded in the dumpster now or are empty and hopefully airing out now – the smell is overwhelming. I would estimate that the dumpster is 3/4 full now, which ended my concerns on only having 2 weeks to fill it – I expect to have it completely full by this Friday, one week after it was set. There is still some trash around where the trash cans were sitting, and a bunch of trash on the porch – the porch stuff are bags of paper that are saturated with water and extremely heavy. I also have a few more bags of stuff to load up out of the barn.
One thing I do need to do is figure out how to dispose of glass and metal. Both are recyclable, neither are allowed in a dumpster, and I have a bunch of both. That is a project for a different day, though.
I spent the week clearing out the knee-high grass around the barn with the string trimmer and lawn mower. It actually doesn’t look half bad.
This weekend, I put a dent in clearing out the barn itself. It’s getting there.
The highlights include probably 200 mostly destroyed drop ceiling panels (which are fiberglass insulation with paper glued to it) and 2 39 gallon trash bags and counting full of shoes – yes, shoes – it looks like some robbed a Payless 20 years ago and dumped the booty in the barn. I did tick off a couple of mice that came out to see what was going on. I also heard and then saw a woodpecker pecking on the barn.
Clearing the yard/field with the mower is proving to be scary. 3 feet tall grass and weeds and no clue what is under it. Here are some of the joys the mower found:
I’ll try to get a couple doors and some siding this week, and try to get a dumpster set before the weekend.